Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Older Sister (aka Jerilyn)

So, it seems this whole blogging thing has gone a little bit by the wayside. I have not forgotten you though, dear Sandy Sneakers. I have just been preoccupied. It also seems quite narcissistic to be blogging about yourself when there are so many other people to think and care about. So I will write today on my older sister whose turn in the limelight is far overdue.

I met my older sister before my brain had developed a little function called "memory" so I can't really tell you what I thought when I first saw her. I can tell you though, that Jerilyn took it upon herself to make sure my first few days on Earth were anything but comfortable. As an only child, she had apparently gotten a little too accustomed to being the center of attention. I'll just say that Jerilyn got a little jealous of the presents I got for being alive. I guess she thought she deserved them more because she'd accomplished more. Well, it's never too early to learn that life is never that simple.

As I grew up, Jerilyn was always my idol. When she got whispy bangs, I wanted whispy bangs (Thank god I never got them. I'm sorry Jerilyn, but I'm sure you'll agree they were not the loveliest of fashion statements). When her friends came over, I would lie next to her door, ear in the crack, clinging to every word. That ended soon after Jerilyn opened the door and almost flattened me. At least I didn't take a pair of scissors to her prom dress (ah, the infamous Velvet resurfaces once again).

When she left for college, Velvet and I were crushed, but at least we weren't lonely. We missed Jerilyn because she was Jerilyn that almighty force of the Older Sister. Looking forward to next year, I've been thinking about that more often and how, when I leave, I'm going to leave Velvet, not only crushed, but also alone. I guess as a middle child, I just can't imagine what being an Only child could be like. That is an experience my two sisters will have to undertake on their own.

(Darn. I still ended up writing about myself. It seems unavoidable in these blogs. Glargulous. Better luck next time I guess.)

No comments:

Post a Comment